Monday, November 26, 2012

Altered Vintage Christmas Frame Tutorial


Hello dear friends!!
We're ready to start off this Sugar Kissed Christmas season with a fun tutorial!

Now, if your not familiar with our signature Sugar Kissed Christmases, It is a Christmas name and style that we created back in 2009.
Basically it's our take on Christmas crafts, decor, ideas with the color combination of pink and red, and sprinkled with glitter! Of course all our projects have a vintage feel to them as well! We also plan to share plenty of vintage Christmas cards from our personal collection this season!

For the first project this year, I created this fun decoration in a sweet vintage style. It's an Art Deco photo easel that I purchased from an antique shop recently. 


I love the style and pattern of this old easel and knew
 that it would be so much fun to alter.
They come in a variety of sizes, but this one measures, 5x7.



I started by removing the frame from the easel.
If you can't find one, or would like to make your own, feel free to save this image I scanned of the frame to your computer and then print it out. You can then create the simple easel back using chipboard.



I then took a piece of chipboard and cut it to the size of my frame. I then measured a 1/4th inch border and cut out it to create this simple frame.


Next, I painted it white and sprinkled it with a combination of Martha Stewart's White Gold glitter and Snow glitter. Then set it aside to dry.


I printed this adorable vintage card for my frame. I really had a hard time choosing a vintage card image, because everyone I considered was so cute! They all would have worked for this project, but ultimately I couldn't pass up using this perfectly posed couple!


Print and cut out the image. Adhere the image to the frame. Take the white glittered border and adhere to the frame.


I then searched through my stash of Christmas supplies for embellishments.
The Holly, leaves and snowflakes are die cuts that come from K & Company's new Christmas line at Michaels. The star I cut on cardstock and glittered using the Martha Stewart Snow glitter.


Start adhering your embellishments to the frame. Take time to lay out your pieces before gluing them down, so that you are sure of the placement.


I then add the snowflakes, silver swirl and star to the top of the frame.


I wanted to add a little more color to the frame so I added a strip of pink/red striped paper to the frame and a little red bow sticker to finish it off.

Then adhere the frame back onto the vintage easel.


This was such as fun project! I think I will definitely try this out for all the holidays! It was just the perfect way to show off a special card or even a family photo, like the easel was originally intended for.


Here are a couple close ups.


I tried not to cover the frame up too much, because
 I wanted to still show off it's fun Art Deco style.


Hope you enjoyed this first tutorial and will continue to stop back by our blog in the coming days till Christmas for more holiday inspiration.

Have a lovely day, Lindsey


Pin It

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute, Lindsey! I know it would be hard for me to pick an image from just my small collect of cards.
I must confess, I'm not familar with these easels. I learn something new every day with blogging!

I sign on my house tomorrow! I might be lurking more than commenting in the days to come but just know I appreciate your posting! ♥

Theresa said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing your "how-to"! Have a blessed week, HUGS!

Unknown said...

Lindsey,
This is so cute! I look forward to your tutorials!!!! :)

vintage grey said...

Love this and the image is so sweet! Thanks for sharing! xo Heather